Covalent is a powerful open-source orchestration platform designed to harmonize the dynamic and complex world of advanced computing. It streamlines the utilization and management of disparate computational resources, encompassing classical high-performance computing (HPC), quantum computing, and AI/ML paradigms. Covalent is a workflow management tool, designed for the orchestration of, and seamless communication between these distinct systems, empowering teams to focus on higher-value R&D objectives.
Covalent is a valuable tool for researchers and developers navigating the complexities and challenges in the rapidly evolving landscape of advanced computing. These challenges span across the integration of heterogeneous systems, efficient allocation and use of resources, and bridging gaps in domain expertise. Covalent offers a robust, scalable, and flexible platform that simplifies the orchestration of these diverse computing resources.
|Hybrid Algorithms & Resource Collaboration||Facilitates a harmonious relationship between classical HPC, quantum resources, and AI/ML workloads, enabling efficient solutions to complex problems across various domains.|
|Workflow Orchestration||Focused on rapid iteration, distributed computation, and experiment management, Covalent provides a platform for efficient design and distribution of workflows.|
|Scalability||Allows easy scaling of a local prototype to a distributed application running in a hybrid or multi-cloud configuration.|
|Open-Source Collaboration||Fosters collaboration and invites developers and researchers worldwide to contribute, promoting transparency and continuous improvement.|
Computational and Operational Challenges
Covalent addresses key computational and operational challenges:
|Computational Challenges||Operational Challenges|
|Advanced compute hardware is expensive, and access is often limited – shared with other researchers, for example.||Proliferation of models, datasets, and hardware trials.|
|You’d like to iterate quickly, but running large models takes time.||Switching between development tools, including notebooks, scripts, and submission queues.|
|Parallel computation speeds execution, but requires careful attention to data relationships.||Tracking, repeating, and sharing results.|
Where Covalent Shines
Covalent distinguishes itself in several key areas:
- Heterogeneous System Support: Manages a diverse range of systems, including classical HPC, quantum systems, and AI/ML workloads.
- Ease of Scaling: Enables users to scale local prototypes to distributed applications in hybrid or multi-cloud configurations.
- Cloud Abstraction: Abstracts complexities of different cloud providers and on-premises HPC solutions, allowing users to focus on their tasks.
- Backend Agnostic: Supports various cloud-based/on-prem quantum/classical computing backends on major platforms.
- Open-Source Collaboration: Fosters collaboration, transparency, and continuous improvement, inviting worldwide contributions.
What Covalent is Not
- A Quantum Hardware Provider: Covalent does not provide its own quantum hardware.
- A Standalone Quantum/AI/ML Framework: Covalent is an orchestration platform that enables seamless integration of AI/ML workloads into advanced computing workflows.
- Limited to Pre-built Algorithms: Covalent allows users to integrate custom algorithms and workflows, enabling innovative solutions for specific problems.
By simplifying the orchestration of advanced computing resources, Covalent enables researchers and developers to focus on innovation, driving the progress in various domains. The platform's open-source foundation also helps democratize quantum computing by breaking down entry barriers and fostering global collaboration.